Sample Behavior Based Questions
1. Describe a time on any job in which you were faced with stresses which tested you. What did you do?
2. Tell me a time in which you had to not finish a task because of a lack of information. How did you handle it?
3. Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.
4. Relate a time in which you had to use your verbal communication skills in order to get an important point across.
5. Describe a job experience in which you had to speak up to be sure that other people knew what you thought or felt.
6. Can you tell me a time in which you felt you were able to build motivation in your co-workers or subordinates?
7. Give me an example of a specific occasion in which you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.
8. Describe a situation in which you felt it necessary to be very attentive and vigilant to your environment.
9. Provide an example of a time in which you had to use your fact-finding skills to gain information to solve a problem.
10. Give me a time in which you had to set an important goal in the past and tell me about your success in reaching it.
11. Describe the most significant piece of writing which you have had to complete.
12. Tell me an example of a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.
13. Can you tell me a time when you were able to effectively “read” another person and guide your actions by your
understanding of their individual needs or values?
14. What did you do in your last job in order to be effective with your organization and planning? Be specific.
15. Describe the most creative work-related project which you have carried out.
16. Tell me a time you felt it was necessary to change your actions to respond to the needs of another person.
17. Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.
18. Tell me a time when you had to carefully analyze a situation in order to be effective in guiding your actions.
19. What did you do in your last job to contribute toward a teamwork environment? Be specific.
20. Give me an example on any job in which you faced a problem and tell me how you went about solving it.
21. Describe a situation in which you were able to positively influence the actions of others in a desired direction.
22. When working on a team, what role do you usually take? Why?
23. Tell me of a time when you had to take initiative to develop an innovative project to achieve better results.
24. Give me two examples of when you did more than was required in any job experience.
25. By providing an example, how did you handle a time where others on your team were negative..
26. Everyone has to bend or break rules sometimes. Recall an example of when you had to do this.
27. Describe the process you went through to make one or two of the most important decisions of your professional
28. Have you ever been the latitude to make a decision for your boss? If so under what circumstances?
29. What process do you use to establish priorities? Be specific.
30. Describe an experience in which you had to pull together resources which are not under your control.
31. Give me a time when one of your suggestions was put into practice by your supervisor.
32. Tell me a time when you had to implement change in your area of responsibility. What did you do to get it started?
33. What ways have you found to make your job easier or more rewarding?
34. Give an example when you persuaded management to do something they were first reluctant to do.
35. Provide an example of how you resolved a conflict with you and another person when you disagreed with each
36. Describe in any job experience how you developed rapport with your peers and your supervisor.
37. Tell me about a time when you have had to utilize a system to inform your supervisor and teammates.
38. Give some examples of ways you minimize stress in your life.
39. By providing an example, tell me when you have had to handle a variety of assignments. Describe the results.
40. Describe the most creative way you have solved a customer’s problem.
41. Tell me about an accomplishment that you are very proud of and why it means so much to you.
42. Provide me with an example of a time when you had to teach someone a new skill or procedure.
43. Describe a job experience when you successfully communicated with someone that did not personally like
44. Tell me about a time when your supervisor was not satisfied with the quality of your work. What did you do?
45. Describe a typical day. How do you decide what to work on and what goals to accomplish?
46. Give me an example of a time when your schedule was interrupted by unforeseen circumstances. How did you
47. Describe for me a situation when you failed to meet a deadline. What things did you fail to do? What did you learn?
48. Tell me a time when you were on a team and one of your teammates was not pulling his/her weight. How did
you handle it?
49. By providing an example, tell me of a situation where you had to use your ability to negotiate.
50. Describe for me a job experience when you had to serve as the leader in order to accomplish a goal.